Thursday, March 28, 2013

BAAG MEIN KALI KHILI

Song 15: 28 Mar 2013

Life comes full circle. I remember as a kid, this time of the year used to be a particularly exciting time. What with exams about to get over and results out, one would look forward to holidays and the long summer. Summer also meant spending long hours at the pool, getting rejuvenated and refreshed from the long, sultry afternoons. A little before my last exam I would take out my swimming costume or go get a new one, try it out in front of all mirrors in the house, from all angles. Then I would pack my swimming bag well in advance. Even the smell of that lime n lemony soap called Liril is so vivid in my mind. That soap always had models in a fluorescent green bikini bathing under a waterfall, creating a splash, Karen Lunel being the flavour of that season, the first girl I ever saw having a whale of a time under a waterfall, and how! There would be this bated nervousness mixed with anticipation. Who would be at the pool this year? Any new faces, any new show-offs and any new ace swimmers and divers. I could barely sit through my last exam, often even leaving one or two questions in the giddiness.Those Olympics Greg Louganis had made a clean sweep of most diving medals and I had his cut outs in my scrap books(of course he hadn't declared until then that he was gay!). 

This song by Asha Bhosle brings all that back like no other song. And Tanuja more than lives up to the energising song written by Shailendra and composed by the maestro Salil Choudhury(Gawd these Bongs, I tell you!). When you see Tanuja, India's very own Audrey Hepburn, you understand where Kajol got her special spark from. Of course her mom. Now I see my daughter super excited on her result day for pool to start while I cannot enjoy swimming per se without worrying about the tan, the chlorine, the hair damage etc. Oh to be able to have pure fun with no worries! This song will always be special for it is closest I can get to doing that. Coz it takes me back to when I was 15!:)   

No comments:

Post a Comment