Wednesday, February 19, 2014

CHHAP TILAK SAB CHHINI RE

Song 90:

At other times, the two sisters, Lata and Asha, sang together in a spiritual Sufi flavour, singing to Khusro's legendary poetry, Chhap Tilak Sab Chhini from the 13th century, in the rather forgettable movie 'Main Tulsi Tere Angan Ki'. The lyrics are somewhat altered from the original and the video is truly ghastly. It totally escapes me how this spiritual and mystical poetry could have the kind of interpretation it had in the movie or how did it find it's way there in the first place. I will spare you the video. I certainly do not find any cognisance with Raj Khosla School of Film-making. 

Yet nothing can take away from the beauty of the tune, the song composed by Laxmikant Pyarelal and the way the two sisters do justice to the sweet, sublime lyrics. The song describes that state of love when you are somewhat bereft of the effect it has had on you. 

Love can be emboldening, boosting and edifying. It often pushes you to become the best you can be in any field, by giving your dreams wings and that much needed bouyancy.
At other times it may make you feel totally powerless and controlled. 

Here's the original poetry of Amir Khusro with a translation I found on the net, and then the song:

Chhap tilak sab cheeni ray mosay naina milaikay
Chhap tilak sab cheeni ray mosay naina milaikay
Prem bhatee ka madhva pilaikay
Matvali kar leeni ray mosay naina milaikay
Gori gori bayyan, hari hari churiyan
Bayyan pakar dhar leeni ray mosay naina milaikay
Bal bal jaaon mein toray rang rajwa
Apni see kar leeni ray mosay naina milaikay
Khusrau Nijaam kay bal bal jayyiye
Mohay Suhaagan keeni ray mosay naina milaikay
Chhap tilak sab cheeni ray mosay naina milaikay


Translation
You've taken away my identity, by just a glance.
By making me drink the wine of love-potion,
You've intoxicated me by just a glance;
My fair, delicate wrists with green bangles in them,
Have been held tightly by you with just a glance.
I give my life to you, Oh my cloth-dyer,
You've dyed me in yourself, by just a glance.
I give my whole life to you Oh, Nijam,
You've made me your bride, by just a glance.

A strong love can make you feel strong. But in some moments it can also make you feel incredibly weak. You feel like a mere shadow of your true self, as if this unseen, unknown figure came, consumed you, hollowed you from within and walked away. The anguish at knowing that you have no control over your own self, your thoughts and feelings is daunting. You almost want to undo the damage and escape it all. Go hide somewhere. Get your old self back. You're coloured in a different hue but some days you want to wash it all off and be your own pure self once again....


No comments:

Post a Comment